FirstSchool partners with school communities to focus on improving PreK-3rd grade school experiences for African American, Latino and low-income children and their families. The FirstSchool team provides research expertise and professional development support in collaboration with districts, schools, administrators, and teachers. Read more about our work here and explore our site to access related resources!
Where You Can Find Us Lately
North Carolina Exceptional Children's Preschool Coordinators’ Institute (Wednesday, November 5th) Adam Holland will discuss classroom approaches that support child engagement. Dr. Adam Holland will present ways to improve student engagement and decrease teacher stress.
The PreK-3rd Grade National Work Group webinar Racial Equity at the District and Classroom Level. (November 12, from 3:00-4:30 pm EST) Sharon Ritchie will be one of the panelists and she will share her insights from FirstSchool’s site-based work across the country.
FirstSchool Whereabouts: April- October 2014
- National Black Child Development Institute 44th Annual Conference, Detroit, MI
Governor's P-3 Symposium, Reno, NV
Hartford Public Schools, Hartford, CT state & local leaders, community partners, administrators, and teachers on PreK-3, building culture of collaborative inquiry, key instructional practices, and effective use of data
- National QRIS Conference, Denver, CO What does it take to develop and sustain excellence in teaching in an early childhood classroom?")
- Discussion of President's Early Education Agenda, Washington, DC
- Minnesota Department of Education professional development on continuous improvement, culture of collaborative inquiry & creating diffentiated kindergarten environments
- Nevada-Washoe County PreK-3 Institute
- FPG Early Childhood Inclusion Institute, Chapel Hill, NC
- NAEYC National Institute for Early Childhood Professional Development, panel on content standards & formative assessment
- Gulf Regional Early Childhood Services, Mobile, AL, keynote on early dropout prevention (see event photo provided by W. McEarchern above)
- PD Center at FPG Child Development Insitute, professional development on student motivation & engagement
- Supporting Learning Table/QRIS work to use data to drive conversations about equity & quality
- Leading Pre-K-3 Learning Communities: Competencies for Effective Principal Practice (National Association of Elementary School Principals-NAESP)
- Data Snapshot: Early Childhood Education (U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights)
- Pre-K-Grade 3 Reading and Literacy Practices That Matter report (Education Commission of the States)
- New report: Pre-K-3 reform requires leadership at all levels (Foundation for Child Development)
- NC receives waiver for No Child Left Behind (NC Public Schools)
National PreK-3 group holds continuing series of webinars (The PreK-3rd Grade National Work Group)