FirstSchool partners with school communities to focus on improving PreK-3rd grade school experiences for African American, Latino and low-income children and their families. The FirstSchool team provides research expertise and professional development support in collaboration with districts, schools, administrators, and teachers. Read more about our work here and explore our site to access related resources!
Where You Can Find Us Lately
Forsyth Co. Schools
As a followup to the participation of the Forsyth Co team at the P-3 Institute in Seattle WA in December, Sharon will present the FirstSchool approach to all district elementary principals and central office personnel.
The entire FirstSchool team will travel to Vermont to kick off our RTT-ELC challege project. We will be meeting with interested school and district-based teams to orient them to FirstSchool approach to developing high quality PreK-3 school communities and to generate interest in becoming particpants in the three year project.
Institute of Medicine
Sharon will attend the first in a series of 4 meetings serving as member of the Institute of Medicine--National Research Council (IOM-NRC) Committee on The Use of Economic Evidence to Inform Investments in Children, Youth, and Families.
Sharon will present the FirstSchool approach to the New Jersey Leaadership Academy sponsored by National Institute for Early Education Research (NIEER)
Center on Enhancing Early Learning Outcomes (CEELO as part of their ongoing efforts to develop responsive leadership in settings serving young children.
The National PreK-3rd Grade Work Group will host a webinar on Full Day Kindergarten (http://prek-3rdgradenationalworkgroup.org)
Sharon will present the FirstSchool approach to leaders from 25 State Education Agencies focusing focus on our methods of sharing data with teachers and principals. Norris Parker, Principal of East End Elementary in Martin Co will join her in Austin Texas for this event.
FirstSchool Whereabouts: Things that occured prior to January 2015
- National Black Child Development Institute 44th Annual Conference, Detroit, MI
Governor's P-3 Symposium, Reno, NV
Hartford Public Schools, Hartford, CT state & local leaders, community partners, administrators, and teachers on PreK-3, building culture of collaborative inquiry, key instructional practices, and effective use of data
- National QRIS Conference, Denver, CO What does it take to develop and sustain excellence in teaching in an early childhood classroom?")
- Discussion of President's Early Education Agenda, Washington, DC
- Minnesota Department of Education professional development on continuous improvement, culture of collaborative inquiry & creating diffentiated kindergarten environments
- Nevada-Washoe County PreK-3 Institute
- FPG Early Childhood Inclusion Institute, Chapel Hill, NC
- NAEYC National Institute for Early Childhood Professional Development, panel on content standards & formative assessment
- Gulf Regional Early Childhood Services, Mobile, AL, keynote on early dropout prevention (see event photo provided by W. McEarchern above)
- PD Center at FPG Child Development Insitute, professional development on student motivation & engagement
- Supporting Learning Table/QRIS work to use data to drive conversations about equity & quality
- Leading Pre-K-3 Learning Communities: Competencies for Effective Principal Practice (National Association of Elementary School Principals-NAESP)
- Data Snapshot: Early Childhood Education (U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights)
- Pre-K-Grade 3 Reading and Literacy Practices That Matter report (Education Commission of the States)
- New report: Pre-K-3 reform requires leadership at all levels (Foundation for Child Development)
- NC receives waiver for No Child Left Behind (NC Public Schools)
National PreK-3 group holds continuing series of webinars (The PreK-3rd Grade National Work Group)